(Image source: balroop2013.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/laughter_quote_2.jpg)
‘Laughter is the best medicine’, said her father. So whenever she laughed, nothing could stop her. There was no control and why should there be any? Until and unless, you are mocking someone, there is no harm in having a good belly laugh, she believed! And whenever, she laughed, worries would fly away, glooms would fade and everyone around would join her hysterical company. Even if it was the lecture hall of college! There were times when the teachers joined in too, And there were times, when she was sent out of the class for this behavior of hers. But she loved laughing. Her good humor made her the charm of the class. She carried gaiety with her wherever she went.
It has been ten years since she left college. She is married now and has kids. In fact, she is happily married. But she doesn’t remember when was the last time she laughed her head off. She has responsibilities being a working mother, she is expected to be an ideal wife, she has to be polite in front of her in laws, She has to be sophisticated in her office. Has she grown up? Or has time changed? Or is she no more happy? Or is it that one can only laugh with friends? She is clueless!
(Image source: 1.bp.blogspot.com/-C8YIFJoNpIM/USTGleVzr0I/AAAAAAAADVY/qa_33zg9iw8/s1600/Positive+Thinking+Quotes16)
No matter how charming this word ‘positivity’ sounds, we still strive hard to make it a part of our thinking process. And anything that takes effort is mostly ignored or postponed by all of us. The roots of our attitude lie in our thoughts and thoughts cannot be changed overnight. So how to get there? Step by step probably! So here are 7 little tips that might help you boost your inner self and make your mind more calm and at peace.
If you feel overwhelmed by the tips or it seems like an uphill task, take and implement one tip at a time. Follow it for a week before picking up another tip and within few weeks, you will see a positive change in your life. So, lets get started:-
- Wake up 10 minutes early each day : It might seem a bit clichéd, but trust me, rushing in the morning hours does impact your whole day because the very first thought you create after waking up is bound to be a negative one. Getting late for work/school, missing breakfasts, and forgetting things at home are just physical things. The damage at inner level is much more severe specially when done on daily basis.
Tip: Initially, you can give yourself the liberty of waking up late on weekends/holidays but once you understand the benefits of waking up early, you will surely change your habit forever 🙂
- Sound mind resides in a sound body : Health is the topmost thing that we ignore in our stressful and busy lives but it only increases our stress levels which further degrades our health. So it is a loop. And you have to break it. Either start looking after your health OR stop taking stress (I think the former is easier).
Don’t worry if you have no time/money for gym. Just a 20 minutes walk daily, yoga or exercise at home thrice a week, playing outdoor with your kids or pets, anything that moves your body will work. Even better, while you talk on cell phones (I know you do it for so many hours each day), make it a habit to walk and talk 🙂
Drinking a lot of water, eating fresh fruits and veggies, not skipping meals (specially breakfast), do I even need to tell you this?
- Smile more often : It doesn’t cost you anything, it only makes you look even more beautiful 🙂 So never miss a chance to smile, even at strangers. You never know who you smile at, might be in dire need of a little positivity and your smile shows him a ray of hope.
- Spend time in nature : There is nothing more rejuvenating for anyone than to walk in a green park, sit under a shady tree feeling the cool breeze (in summers) and soaking in sun (in winters), sitting on grass, looking at the hills, listening to the waves of the sea at beaches, there is no end to what options our bountiful nature has given us to relax our mind.
Although doing this on daily basis will do wonders, but if you don’t have much time, at least once a week, treat yourself to the beauty of your surroundings.
- Output is directly proportional to the input : Now, if your mind is constantly creating negative thoughts throughout your day, you need to check on what are you feeding to your mind. Watching/reading news (which are mostly negative these days) the first thing in the morning or the last of the day, will fill your subconscious mind with a negative image of the world and this will block your positive thoughts.
Starting your day with a prayer/meditation or even sitting with family (without phones) on breakfast table will surely help to kick start a positive day. I know it is difficult to take out time for reading good books (which surely helps), instead you can start watching a 10 minutes positive video everyday before going to bed or whenever you are online.
Tip: Subscribe to positive video channels on YouTube (like TED talks) or follow inspirational pages on Facebook so that you come across such uplifting content more often.
- Gratitude is important : Are you grateful for the breath that you just took? You better be, because every second, 2 persons die in this world. Are your limbs all functioning well? Are your loved ones alive? Do you have work to earn money? Do you have food on your plate and clothes on your body? Do you have shelter to sleep safely? If even one of the answers is YES, then you should be grateful. Trust me on this, the more you fill yourself with gratitude, the more you will get AND the more you complain, you will never have enough! Contentment doesn’t mean you stop working to achieve more, or don’t aim high. It just means, not to lose yourself in the path of achieving more.
- We rise by lifting others : I had to save the most important one for the last! By being kind to others and by helping the needy ones, you not only open the gates of receiving blessings, but also your attitude towards life changes to a great extent. You will find more meaning in your existence, and without any extra effort, your life will be more positive than ever before! Remember, no one has ever become poor from GIVING.
(Image source: imgion.com/images/01/pink-towel-cute-eyes-baby.jpg)
“When a child comes into your life, it is not time to teach; it is time to learn!” – Sadhguru
Back in 2010, when I was blessed with my elder son, little did I know how much a child can contribute to your learning and growth! Each moment that you spend with your little one, you tend to let that inner child inside you come out for a while! You jump, play, shout, babble and dance and give them a delightful company. All the little things that you forget in the process of growing up and getting mature, sprout up in your life once again making your life more colorful. You do not even realize that you have got another chance to live that childhood again…
But childhood is not just about having fun in shower, smearing yourself up in crayons and climbing trees. It is the foundation of who you will grow up into one day! As a parent, we want to teach our children good manners right from the beginning, we want to inculcate kindness in our kids, we want them to grow into good human beings. We lecture them about growing more trees, preserving wildlife and depleting natural resources, keeping the surroundings clean and much more. Stop and reflect for a moment, if we can travel back in time and become a child with them while playing, do we also travel ahead few years by projecting ourselves as an ideal adult who we visualize them in future?
Here comes the hard part of parenting. You teach your child to be good to others, he might or might not be. But if you BE good to others, you don’t even need to tell them to be good. When I told my son not to throw garbage on roads (emphasizing the importance of cleanliness), deep down inside my heart, I knew that first I will have to give up this habit of neglecting cleanliness of roads. To teach him kindness and helping the needy ones, I picked up the routine of offering food/sweets to poor children on special occasions. To show him the wonders of gratitude, I myself started thanking God before every meal. The list is endless! Today, when he turned 7 years old, I can see the effect of changing myself, on this little being. I am happy that in this beautiful phase of motherhood, I actually got a chance to mold the ‘child’ me. Being blessed with another tiny time travelling machine recently, I am ready to embark on this journey once again!!!
Writing has always been a passion for me, but hidden from the world! Finally, letting my ideas flow like a river and shine like sun….